During this time of year, as the nighttime weather gets colder, it’s more important than ever to focus on feeding and clothing the homeless in Houston.
Welcome to Development with Danielle©, My Weekly “Women in Construction” Blog!
Collectively, we in the trades can be a powerful force for good. Whether we participate through an organization or quietly reach out as individuals or business owners, our volunteering efforts make a huge impact on those struggling on the streets of our cities.
My team at Right Choice Development and Construction has the biggest hearts, yet I’ve never really given our staff and contractors a shoutout for their labors of love every fall and stretching into the holidays. Year after year, amongst ourselves, we collect food and clothing for the homeless and head to Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston. There, we interact with men and women and their families, including the elderly and veterans, to distribute much-needed supplies.
What Supplies Help the Homeless in Houston the Most?
Who is in need in your city, and what can you do to make a difference? Below are just a few ideas for collecting and distributing supplies as we head into autumn and winter. You can research the needs in your own area and customize a list.
- Water — bottled and in jugs for drinking and washing
- Food to eat immediately
- Nonperishable foods for later
- Can openers
- Pet food — yes, many homeless people have pets, especially dogs that need food too
- Gift cards
- Personal hygiene kits and toiletries — soap, hand sanitizer, shaving supplies, tweezers, feminine products, washcloths, etc.
- First aid kits — adhesive bandages of various sizes, antibacterial ointments, antiseptic wipes, , Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, latex gloves, thermometer, throat lozenges
- Socks — plenty for layering
- Hoodies, sweatshirts, sweatpants
- Raingear — raincoats, galoshes, umbrellas
- Tents — one-person, two-persons, or larger
- Sleeping bags
- Pillows and pillowcases
Thank you for helping the less fortunate and caring for those without a home. I hope you enjoy all of my Development with Danielle© posts here, with more coming to bolster the holiday spirit.
Check out our Right Choice Development and Construction portfolio here, spanning our retail, office, and industrial projects. Find us on social media — Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn — and follow along! Our phone number is 832 567 9648, and you can email me at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thanks for stopping by! Until next time, we appreciate you!